Monday, December 9, 2013

Ignoring The Odds

If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them.  When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope?  We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or fight like hell.
- Lance Armstrong

I am trying my best to ignore odds and percentages.  I haven't looked, haven't asked, don't want to know.  In a situation like mine, being naive to what could happen is best, in my opinion.  I don't know what I'm capable of as I have nothing to compare against.  That's a good thing.  So I walk into this as a child, ignoring all odds, all percentages, prepared to fight like hell!

I start my first chemo session, treatment, round.  I don't know what to call it, but it starts tomorrow.  My appointment is at 7:30am and I'm told to prepare to be there for 6 hours.  I will get steroids and fluids first.  If it stopped there I would head straight the the gym and hit a few PR's, but it doesn't,  From there I will get the three difference drugs administered.  Once those are done I will get more fluids to flush my body and protect my kidneys as much as possible. 

Apparently I'm still stuck in the whole shock/disbelief phase because this just doesn't feel real yet.  It's been 22 days since I found out and it still doesn't feel real.  I supposed I'm grateful for that as I've been able to live life as normal.  I've been able to spend quality time with my family, laugh, play in the snow, workout, PR, fold laundry, grocery shop.  Normal things.  Liam and I hammed it up for the camera today.  Took our last pre chemo pictures together and it felt so good to capture these sweet moments today.



 

My mantra remains.  I have more than hope.  I am going to fight like hell.  I WILL beat this.  NO OTHER OPTION.









No comments:

Post a Comment