Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Avoiding The Bus

Every time someone tells me I am strong, I am an inspiration, I am their motivation I think about those people that are my inspiration, my motivation, who I look up to as being strong.  I have a lot of them, but this post isn't about me.  It's about a wonderful young girl turned amazing young lady I met through Crossfit a few years ago. 

Jaden Lynch.  From the minute I met her I could see how strong she was, how powerful she was, how genuine and amazing she was.  Jaden is 15, in 2011 she was diagnosed with severe aplastic anemia and has been fighting the disease ever since.  I don't know the extent of her treatment or her disease.  What I do know is that she isn't defined by it.  She lives life to the fullest and likely has no idea the impact she has on those around her, people like me.  I remember her time and time again coming in to the box with her parents with a smile on her face, working out, getting stronger.  One day she was in there doing pullups with a boot on her broken foot!  She inspires me, she gives me hope, and she wrote the following essay for school which her mom sent to me yesterday and I just had to share with everyone:

Why I Lift
It is just like any other day at the gym, I finish my WOD and collapse on the floor. As I lay on the stall mats trying to regain my breath I think to myself "Why do I do this, why do I lift." I lift to reach my limit. I lift to spend time with my family. I lift to have control. I lift to understand the movements of life. I lift in preparation. I lift although I know I can never be limitless. I lift to give life, to have life, and to live life to the fullest of my capabilities. I lift to promote. I lift to overcome pain and suffering and disease. I lift because I never thought I could. I lift out of anger. I lift to avoid. I lift because I am weak. I lift because I am strong. I lift when words aren't enough. I lift into aggravation. I lift when nothing can get any worse. I lift to love. I lift because it makes me feel loved. I lift to achieve the goals I have set for myself and for those that have been placed upon me. I lift because I can and nobody can ever take the ability away from me.

This family is also an inspiration and shared their motto with me, which Matt and I really like and are adopting.

It's not getting us today & likely not tomorrow so let's make the most of it and try not to get hit by a bus while we are busy living today.

Here's to making the most out of each day and avoiding the bus!

No comments:

Post a Comment